The following post runs through a step by step walkthrough to upgrade the storage controller firmware on a HP P2000 G3, using the Online ROM Flash Component for Windows and the GUI Option.
If the P2000 is hosting a VMware vSphere 4.1+ environment, it is highly recommended to upgrade the controller firmware to take advantage of the VMware VAAI features if the current firmware is not yet at a sufficient level (that is TS230R044 or better.)
Also see follow on post: HP P2000 G3: Installing Plug-in for VMware VAAI for vSphere 4.1
1) Check current firmware revisions
2) (Optional but recommended) Check support agreements are in place with 4th line – HP Manufacturer – support just in case!
3) Download softwares
Either Google "Online ROM Flash Component for Windows – HP P2000 G3 MSA Arrays" or try this link
4) Arrange downtime
5) (Essential) Ensure backups from P2000 SAN are sufficient
1) Disable any backup/replica jobs that access the P2000
2) Put into maintenance mode any VDI desktop groups that access LUNs on the P2000
3) Disable any monitoring and/or notify relevant personnel that works are in progress
4) Where possible to do so - shutdown VMware guests and hosts in order to facilitate the upgrade running smoothly
1) Using the Storage Management Utility, check that no changes are in progress on the P2000 (if so then wait for progress to complete)
2) Double-click the downloaded firmware package, and select Run if the Security Warning box pops up
3) Click Install and wait for the package to extract
4) On the HP Package Setup window, enter IP Address, User Name, and Password for the system and click Continue
5) Click Install and wait! Allow approx. 30 minutes for firmware to load and automatic restart to complete on the first controller, and a further hour if there is a second controller in the system (total 90 minutes.)
Note: If the firmware is far out of date (like TS100R025 – see below), the installer will automatically upgrade to TS201R015 then to TS230P008. In this case it can take 3 hours for the firmware to apply across the two controllers!
The GUI will post updates from the Installation Log (saved to systemdrive\CPQSYSTEM\Log\MSA2000.log) showing the progress of the upgrade.6) The End!