The following blog runs through what could be considered to make up a complete install of an EqualLogic Array with all possible value add software components when integrating with VMware vSphere.
The Value Add Software Components
Below are latest software versions as of January 2013, and these are all available from https://support.equallogic.com:
- Dell EqualLogic Multipathing Extension Module (MEM) for VMware vSphere Version 1.1.2
- Virtual Storage Manager (VSM) for VMware Version 3.5
- Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters Version 2.5
Note 1: The HIT/VMware (or HIT/VE – Host Integration Tools) was renamed the VSM as of Version 3.5.
Note 2: The ASM/VE (Auto-Snapshot Manager) is now legacy - last version was 2.0.5
How to Install the MEM for VMware vSphere 5.X
Note: Below uses the VMware vSphere CLI method of installation. The MEM can also be installed using VMware Update Manager or setup.pl script (see the ‘Dell EqualLogic Multipathing Extension Module Installation and User Guide’.)
1. Download the MEM
2. Unpack the download to reveal the dell-eql-mem-esx5-126.96.36.1992203.zip (do not unpack further)
3. Upload the mem…zip to a datastore which is accessible by the VMware host(s)
Image: dell-eql-mem-esx5-188.8.131.522203.zip uploaded to datastore1
4. (If not done already) Download and install the VMware vSphere CLI
5. Run the DOS Command prompt as an administrator and navigate to the vSphere CLI bin folder with:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin
6. Put the host in maintenance mode
7. Run the command:
esxcli --server=vmhost01.ace.priv software vib install --depot /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/dell-eql-mem-esx5-184.108.40.2062203.zip
Enter username and password when prompted.
8. Exit the host from maintenance mode (no reboot required)
What the MEM does
“EqualLogic MEM for VMware vSphere enables VMware platforms to intelligently leverage EqualLogic SAN architecture, Storage and Network usage for optimized performance for user environments.”
How to Install the VSM
1. Check that the vCenter Server Managed IP address is configured (vSphere Client > Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Runtime Settings)
2. Download the VSM appliance
3. vSphere Client > File > Deploy OVF Template, browse to the VSM-220.127.116.11-GA.ova file
Next > Next > Accept > Accept > Next > … follow the prompts to deploy and configure the VSM
Management Network IP Address:
Management Network Netmask:
And check ‘Power on after deployment’
4. Once the VSM has booted, check vSphere Client > Plug-ins > Plug-in Manager > and enable the ‘com.dell.EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager for VMware’
Note: The VSM Plug-in is a server-side plug-in and does not need to be installed vSphere Client endpoints.
5. (This bit requires Java installed!) vSphere Client > Solutions and Applications > Dell EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager
Image: Dell EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager icon
And enter the VMware vCenter credentials.
6. From the Groups view, Add PS Series Groups…
Image: Dell EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager – Add PS Series Groups…
What the VSM does
The VSM makes the life of managing EqualLogic Storage in a VMware vSphere environment very easy. A lot of storage task can be performed via the vSphere client, including:
Create Datastores, Create Smart Copy, Clone, Create Smart Copy Replica, Create schedule, Start Virtual Desktop Deployment Utility, Manage ACL policies, Configure VSM Properties, Replication …
A right-click of the Cluster > EqualLogic > Datastores – presents:
- Create Datastores
A right-click of a Virtual Machine > EqualLogic > Datastores – presents:
- Create Smart Copy
- Create Schedule
- Create Smart Clone
How to Install SAN HQ
1. Download SAN HQ
2. Double-click on the SANHQSetup32And64.exe to install (accept the prompt to install .NET 4.0 if not already installed.) Here we ‘Install SAN HQ Server and Client’.
Image: SAN Headquarters – Install SAN HQ Server and Client
3. Launch Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters and follow the wizard to add a new PS Series Group to SAN Headquarters for monitoring
Image: Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters – Welcome to the Add Group wizard
What SAN HQ does
“SAN Headquarters (SAN HQ) is Dell’s management tool for consolidated performance and robust event monitoring across multiple virtualized EqualLogic SAN groups. It gathers and formats performance data and other vital group information for easy viewing. With SAN HQ, you have the ability to centrally monitor alerts, obtain historical performance reporting, do trend analysis for capacity planning and troubleshooting.”
If you want to get the maximum value out of your EqualLogic and VMware vSphere environment, don’t miss out on these recommended and free extras!