2) Browse down and we’re going to get Simulate ONTAP 8.2.2P1 for VMware ESX for Clustered ONTAP.
3) Click the Clustered-ONTAP link to download the vsim_esx-cm.tgz
4) Once it has downloaded, use 7-Zip or similar to unpack the tgz file
5) Use 7-Zip to unpack the .tar file
6) In your final unpacked folder, you should see a lot of files like this:
Image: vsim_esx-cm.tgz files
7) Via the vSphere Client and the Datastore Browser
Click on the Upload button
Image: vSphere Client Datastore Browser Upload Button
7.1) Click “Upload Folder...”
7.2) Browse to the folder containing the files
7.3) Click OK
7.4) Accept “Yes” to the Upload/Download Operation Warning
7.5) And wait for the folder to upload ...
Image: Waiting for vsim_esx-cm to upload
8) Browse to the newly uploaded folder using the vSphere Datastore Browser
Image: vsim_esx-cm files on the VMware datastore
8.1) Right-click the VMX file
8.2) Select ‘Add to Inventory’ and follow through the wizard
9) Finally, right-click the DataONTAP SIM and ‘Power On’
Image: vSphere Client -> Power on DataONTAP SIM
And we get an error:
Image: Error - Failed to start the virtual machine ... cannot find ... DataONTAP-sim.vmdk
9) Now following the instruction in this community post:
9.1) Remove the disk on IDE (1:1)
Image: Removing IDE (1:1)
Image: Remove from virtual machine and delete files from disk
9.2) And create a new IDE disk on IDE 1:1, 250gb and thin provisioned:
Image: 250GB Thin Provision disk ...
Image: ... on IDE (1:1)
Image: Add Hardware - Ready to Complete ...
10) Take a VMware snapshot before first boot (so we can create a clone from a pre-boot version of the SIM later - and perhaps change the serial number which gets hard set once it has booted beyond boot loader ...)
11) And then power on the VM, and watch it boot!
Image: Booting the DataONTAP SIM in ESXi
Thanks a lotReplyDelete