OCUM 7.2 went GA on 29th of June.
OCUM 7.2 includes several new features and enhancements, the top one being:
“Unified Manager now includes Performance Manager functionality in a single product. Starting with Unified Manager 7.2, the performance collection and analysis functionality of OnCommand Performance Manager is included in Unified Manager. Now you can use a single product to monitor both health and performance status of your ONTAP clusters from a single URL and single user interface”
Note: This installation guide is for Windows; there’s also RedHat and VMware Appliance Version of OCUM 7.2.
1) Check the IMT to see which host OSes are supported*.
*The IMT is the best place to check compatibility, rather than relying on the manuals (which are here.)
Go to: http://mysupport.netapp.com/matrix
Solution Explorer > OnCommand Unified Manager for Clustered Data ONTAP
Supported Microsoft Windows Server ‘Host OS (For Installation) (OS)’ OSes are:
2012 SE, 2012 DCE, 2012 R2 SE, 2012 R2 DCE, 2016 SE, 2016 DCE.
For this post we’ll be using Microsoft Windows Server 2016 SE**
**It’s easy to get a 180 day trial from here.
2) Check the OCUM 7.2 Installation and Setup Guide for Hardware Requirements
From the ‘Installation and Setup Guide’ - available from here - recommended hardware requirements for the Windows version are:
12 GB :RAM
100 GB :Disk space for the Unified Manager installation directory
50 GB :Disk space for the MySQL data directory
3) Check the OCUM 7.2 Installation and Setup Guide for Software Requirements
Assuming we’re using a clean install of Windows Server 2016, the installer with install:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package version 14.0.24212
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013
- MySQL Community Edition version 5.7.18 or later
- Oracle JDK or OpenJDK version 126.96.36.199 or later
- p7zip version 9.20.0 or later
The only other installation requirements from the manual are:
- Microsoft .NET 4.0 must be installed.
- You must reserve 2 GB of disk space for the temp directory to extract the installation files.
- You must reserve 2 GB of disk space in the Windows drive for caching the Unified Manager MSI files.
- The Microsoft Windows Server on which you want to install Unified Manager must be configured with a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) such that ping responses to the host name and FQDN are successful.
- You must disable Microsoft IIS worldwide web publishing service and ensure that ports 80 and 443 are free.
- You must make sure that the Remote Desktop Session Host setting for Windows Installer RDS Compatibility is disabled during the installation.
- You must configure any installed antivirus scanners to exclude the Unified Manager installation directory and the MySQL data directory.
- UDP port 514 must be free, and must not used by any other service.
4) Download the software
Download the software from here:
The Windows installer is here (it is 1.23 GB in size):
Once OS and Hardware Requirements are sorted, the installation of OnCommand Unified Manager 7.2 is very simple (an out-the-box Windows 2016 has all the software requirements.)
Note: Here we’re using ‘Windows Server 2016 Standard (Desktop Experience)’
1) Right-click the OnCommandUnifiedManager-7.2.exe and click ‘Run as administrator’
Image: OnCommandUnifiedManager-7.2.exe ‘Run as administrator’
2) Welcome to the Installation Wizard for OnCommand Unified Manager Version 7.2
Click Next >
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Welcome...
3) Customer Information
Enter User Name and Password for the maintenance user.
Click Next >
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Customer Information
4) Database Connection
Specify the MySQL root Password.
Click Next >
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Database Connection
5) Destination Folder
Chose where to install:
- OnCommand Unified Manager (default = C:\Program Files\NetApp)
- MySQL Data Directory (default = C:\ProgramData\MYSQL\MySQLServerData\)
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Destination Folder
6) Ready to Install the Program
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Install
7) Installation Wizard Completed
Image: OCUM Installation Wizard - Completed
To Be Continued...
We left the tick box checked. In the next post we’ll cover first launch of the OCUM web interface.