Since ONTAP 9.0 the recommendation has been:
“Recommend migrating 7-Mode source and destination volumes to non-SVM-DR SVM’s and then creating the SVM-DR relationship post cutover. The idea being that we avoid a re-baseline and can maintain continuity of DR throughout the migration.”
The steps used to transition existing DR relationships to an SVM-DR relationship are as follows:
(1) We start with volumes being asynchronously snapmirrored from source to destination.
Note: If you have a vFiler DR configuration, this must be deleted since 7MTT does not support this (you will need to re-create the volume snapmirrors but no re-baseline is involved).
(2) Create a 7MTT secondary transition project that will coordinate snapmirror of volumes from DR 7-Mode to DR ONTAP.
(3) Create a 7MTT primary transition project that will coordinate snapmirror of volumes from Production 7-Mode to Production ONTAP
(4) Cutover DR and then production with 7MTT, 7MTT will re-establish snapmirrors from Production ONTAP to DR ONTAP.
(5) Once cutover, you can create an SVM-DR relationship.
Note: If you want to avoid re-copies over the network, you need to cut over all the required volumes in one go, since once the you have an SVM-DR relationship you cannot 7 to C snapmirror to the disaster recovery SVM.
The simple diagram below illustrates steps 1 to 4.
Image: Transition 7-Mode DR relationships to ONTAP DR relationships